Friday, January 1, 2010

lying broken...shattered on the floor


#001 - Shattered - 1997

To start this off I picked an old song. I wrote this in 1997 at the old age of 19. It has the distinction of being the first song I ever wrote on an acoustic guitar (and on my favorite guitar). It also has the distinction of being a song that I played for a lot of people in the 2000-2001 era. It kind of kept me going musically when I was kind of giving up on a lot of things that made me me. Oh and it has no chorus which is kind of something I've done a bit with. This version is a rerecording from 2009 and encompasses more of what I was thinking the full song should sound like (as opposed to the purely acoustic version that touched a lot of hands). Originally intended for the abandoned "Rude Punani" reggae/punk/acoustic album. Lyrics are below:

"Shattered"

Lying broken
shattered on the floor
I've taken so much
I can't take no more
It's only you I know
but still it's too much
You say you're gonna leave
and I told you that I didn't really give a fuck
but now that you're gone I lay awake all night
trying to pass the time
all I do is get high
when I think
that maybe you're coming back

Don't you know I'm so lonely
I can't see myself
when I look into the mirror
I try to hide
You took away everything from me
including my pride
but I still know
someday you're coming back
at least I sit and watch as time floats by
smoke another cigarette and cry
cuz you
you meant the world to me
and all I know is that I love you


1 comment: