Monday, January 11, 2010

the sun sets over paradise



"Parachute" was written in 2003 with Travis during a late night jam. Originally recorded in one take, the lyrics are pretty much the same as the night I free-styled them. For a long time, I couldn't decide what this song should be or where it should go. It was a part of "The Gun Show" for a while and spent some time as part of "Emotional Masochism" and it's still kind of floating around. It's totally a love song although I'm not really sure who I was thinking about when I wrote it even though 2003 would indicate one of two people really but I would like to think I wrote it for neither of them because I like the song too much to chain it to those memories. One other thing, in case you missed it...it's not about suicide and it's also not about unprotected sex (although I told someone once that it was just to get a reaction) it's totally about limitless love and I think I can happily say that with this arrangement it kind of moved up on my own list maybe because every line in this song somehow(even though it's 6+ years old) means something significant to me or maybe because it reminds me of one of my favorite songs at least in the way it feels and the potential I see for what it could be. I don't know, I'm just rambling now so I'm going to post the lyrics...

"Without a Parachute"

The sun sets over paradise

I’ll let you be my only vice

But I don’t know where I’ll sleep tonight

The dogs are barking on the avenue

The clouds are spelling I love you

Graffiti from a jet plane passing by

I’m leaving on a westbound rail

Conscience on my tail

Now I can’t remember the first time I ran away


I’d jump without a parachute


Your dominoes are falling down

The pieces are not jumping into place

The way that I positioned them and now

I’m tripping all over me

When I should have been lying down next to you


I’d jump without a parachute


The writing on the wall

I think I see your name but it’s too blurred

I can’t make it out in the dark

I’m thinking that it says you were close to me

And we will always be one at heart

But I’m really having trouble digesting your words tonight


I’d jump without a parachute


The midnight breathing’s heavy

Your residue is on my skin

Not sure if time just ended

Or where life begins

How am I supposed to know

Where your world is moving every minute

When I was never in it

To begin with


I’d jump without a parachute

To prove I’m so in love with you

2 comments:

  1. I finally got caught up on listening to all your tunes. Nice work! I've heard some of these songs "unplugged" before, but I like these productions even better!

    ReplyDelete